| entries | profile | affiliates | tagboard | plugboard | site |
<$BlogItemTitle$>
<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>


<$BlogItemBody$>

<$BlogItemDateTime$> | back to top

Disclaimer


put your disclaimer here

Rewind





-->

Friday, May 25, 2012

Priceless by Robert K. Wittman

Well, the full title of this book would be:
Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures by Robert K. Wittman: Founder, FBI Art Crime Team

I'm kind of obsessed with art, so when I saw this memoir on art crime? I had to buy it.

The book reads almost like a crime thriller, with great insight and background information to support the plot, here and there. The book was simply fascinating, well-written, suspenseful, a definite page-turner, just plain amazing, and is an actual autobiography. I don't think I have enough good things to say about this book.

The one thing is, I could not get into the character's skin like I usually do. However, I think that's actually a good thing in this case, since I wanted to read about Robert K. Wittman, not a story where I could imagine myself as a character.

Hidden videos, bugged meetings, lies, betryals, plot twists, and gansters. It reads almost like a story, except by the time I was finished with the book, I learned so many things. Art history. Various international art crimes. How much the FBI and other international agencies are doing (or not doing, in this case) to prevent these crimes. How the black market operates. The FBI.

The book also covers his experience as a Japanese-American, how he came to work for the FBI, and how he worked there to uncover art crimes.

This books gives critical insight on the severity of international art crimes, that could be happening right now, under our noses! Usually, I dislike "True Crime" or myseteries in general. But this book, I would read all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment