| entries | profile | affiliates | tagboard | plugboard | site |
<$BlogItemTitle$>
<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>


<$BlogItemBody$>

<$BlogItemDateTime$> | back to top

Disclaimer


put your disclaimer here

Rewind





-->

Friday, May 11, 2012

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

4/5 stars

I admit I did not really like this book at first because of the slow beginnings.
But since it was for English class, I sludged through it. And when I got to part two? I was glad I read this book.

Like stated before, this book is pretty slow. The first 117 pages (Part 1) is mainly compromised of introduction to Pi Patel, a unique indian boy who believes in three different religions and has lived with animals thanks to his father's zookeeping job. Yeah. 117 pages about an unextraordinary (other than the animals, I suppose) life wasn't exactly exciting.

And then, due to india's circumstances, Pi, his family, and the animals board a ship to Canada. However, a malfunction of the ship leads to Pi finding himself stranded in a lifeboat in the Pacific Ocean with only a few animals: a zebra, a orangutan, a hyena, and a bengal tiger.

Obviously, things don't exactly go well for Pi.

I loved part II where everyday stranded in a ocean with animals was an adventure and a battle of wits for Pi. And it's also the part where Pi's wry humor finally shines.

Part III was relatively short, but for me it was the best part. I would explain why but because of the twist that makes you think of the book in a completely whole new way, I'd rather not explain it.


*BTW, I definitely prefer the human version. Frightening but much more realistic.*

*Also, I recommend that you read the book (Or at least Part II. You can skip Part I. XD) twice. Part III's twist makes you see the book in a completely different view. In addition, reading it again shows you so many hidden details in the book, like Richard Parker (the tiger)'s allusion of whether it really being a tiger or Pi's darker, animal side.*

No comments:

Post a Comment